What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

You DO have room for another model railroad!

Three and a half years in the making. These "Teeny Trains" are the latest thing in small model railways. An oval of track supplied in the train set is about 6" x 5".
While undoubtedly toy like at the moment, to see one of these tiny sets run is nothing but amazing.
Why would I try and devote some time with model railroading with such a toy? Well T scale was seen as a toy a few short years ago. Yet now, many successful entertaining layouts have been built and exhibited at train shows amazing the viewing public. I've had a whale of a time with T.
Using RP (rapid prototyping) technology small manufacturers have built up lines of products covering US, UK, Australian, and Finnish prototypes. A variety of stock that rivals Z scale.
So why could this not happen with these "Teeny Trains" or "Nano Model Railroading" as I like to call it?
The mechanics of the how the train works can be discussed at a later date. But for the moment there are two projects that I/we are working on. I say we because my wife took one look at the pictures of the "Christmas train" sets on the Teeny Trains website and said.
"We could do that." So we intend to make our own personalised "train under the Christmas tree" set. While I also have plans to create some modern US outline locos and stock and build some kind of layout for them.
Like some kind of persistant child. I can still hear folks asking "Why"
It's all a question of testing oneself, developing new skills. Working in T scale was probably the most rewarding thing I did. I built a working lighthouse, a T scale petrol (gas) station, and very probably the worlds first items of US outline rolling stock. Things I would never have considered having the skill set to do. But I did them and quite well too. So who's to say I can't do the same with these Nano trains and develop a whole new skill set that might serve we well in other model making fields.
I've no idea how to approach these problems but I'm going to have a go.
So follow this blog and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment