What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Now we get serious (locomotive part 3)

Right, I can't keep putting this off. at some time I have to put a blade to styrene and work on something to test out construction theories.
I have a large supply of styrene sections on hand from previous projects and just happened to have some suitably sized sections in stock. So I set to and cut them to size, glued them together and then shaved them to shape with a razor blade.
That's it. Nothing clever, and yes I did wear a binocular magnifier to do the job. This is a very crude "proof of concept" model. But I believe it shows that this method for locomotive construction in 1;1,000 scale is sound. The secret will be to take it slowly and slice off a little at a time. Sometimes "taking it slowly" is something I fail to do. Anyway, it certainly bolsters my confidence. Especially when I think about the difference between my first and third trees at the weekend. What could loco number three look like?
Photographing it was actually quite difficult to get the white styrene to show the shape I'd carved it to without bleaching it out and loosing all the detail..

No comments:

Post a Comment