What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nano tree No. 2

Right then, as promised here in tree No. 2 for your perusal. Already you can see it's a BIG improvement over the first one. These things are so incredibly fragile the mere act of breathing near them can cause a small bit of foliage to move and destroy the effect. I think I got away with it on this picture, you can make out some bits of bough among the foliage. Bear in mind too that this picture is about three times larger than actual size. So perhaps I'm being too hard on myself. I do though wonder of 30 odd feet is the smallest practical size to model a tree in 1:1,000 scale. I've actually just photographed a 60 foot tree of some type and will see if the increased size makes it easier to model.
So to the Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage product. Very impressive stuff, even looking at this small piece photographed below you can see that there is the makings of an Oak tree or something similar.
And you thought model scenery in 1:1,000 scale was going to be hard...

1 comment:

  1. That is insane! I have a hard time making trees in HO Scale! Then again, scenery isn't my strongest attribute in model railroading.

    Christopher Muller

    ReplyDelete