What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Monday, August 29, 2011

It's all rather crazy really (box car part one)

You'll have to believe me on this one. Some of this stuff is really difficult to photograph, so if I say I've done this take my word for it for the moment, OK?
What would you think would be the easiest thing to build in 1:1,000 scale?
A boxcar perhaps?
Thats pretty much what I thought too. So it seemed a pretty good idea to have a go at building a few. Because if I'm going to build a nano freight train, I'm going to need a few. A little bit of research on the internet garnered me a set of drawings and dimensions for a Gunderson excess height car. Excess height cars. I like them. So a great project for a first boxcar model.
A boxcar then. Sections of 3.2 x 4mm styrene strip cut to length.
BUT. (there always has to be a "but" doesn't there) take a look at these railbox pictures notice how distinctive the end is this is typical of all modern boxcar ends. Strips of evergreen are plain ended, so how to re-create it? I remembered something I'd done in T scale with the worlds first T scale freight car the ribbing on the sides was created by finding a sheet of styrene of whatever pattern cut to gondola height size and length and topped off with a thin strip of styrene. It might not be "to scale" but it looks the part. So a similar idea was in order for the ends of the boxcar. I found the narrowest V groove sheeting I had and then widened out the grooves to give the right sort of effect. (You will now understand why photography of this is difficult...)
Surprisingly this was not a difficult task and enough sheet for several boxcars was created in a matter of minutes. As I write this the ends are glued to sides ready to be trimmed when the glue has set firmly. I'm quietly confident that my 1:1,000 scale boxcars will look quite good when finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment