What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

My first nano-tree

In keeping with the "warts and all" approach to this blog detailed here is my first attempt at a tree in 1:1,000 scale.
You can't beat having realistic looking trees in your model landscape. Everyone should have them.
While I agree that mass produced model trees are getting more and more realistic (if a bit expensive). There are still people out there using the cheapo bottle brush efforts which saddens me as really nice trees are quite easy to do and they are probably easier to do in the smaller scales like N and Z and T than they are in say O. But this same construction theory holds out in all scales.
Above: The first, and most important thing is to find yourself a tree. This one is the approximately 35 foot tall paper birch in my front yard. Take a picture, print it off and study it.
Next: Find yourself some old multi strand electrical wire. Cut some of the sheathing off exposing the strands (1) and then start to separate them and bend them to the shape of the trunk and branches of the tree (2)
Then: I paint the wire armature with painters latex caulking and then, when that has dried I paint it with colours that suit the bark of the tree. Finally adding foliage in the form of Woodland scenics fine leaf foliage. Which, in this tree, is actually quite disappointing as it has smothered all the branch detail underneath.
A second attempt is called for which I will do right now...
When I get that second one done I will also post a picture of plain woodland scenics fine foliage which also makes very acceptable trees when shaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment