What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The amazing Nano video show

IDL motors have their own Youtube channel where product demo films are posted. I thought I'd share some of them with you in case you had missed them.
This first one shows what appear to be HO scale people on bikes, cattle and pedestrians all moving on a teeny trains track .
This second one is very, very interesting it shows some Hallmark Christmas tree decoration Trains "motorised" by adding magnets underneath them.
This is as small as it gets. The track size is 85mm x 55mm (3 1/2" x 2" approx) the moving cars are 5mm long.
All amazing stuff.
Ed tells me that in the three and a half years of product development they have moved objects varying is size from 5mm to 60mm in length.
I can see all kinds of opportunities for this technology in your model railroads. In O scale or G scale you could model the inside of a factory or warehouse and feature working conveyor belts moving products around the model.
I'm sure someone (maybe my wife and I) will try motorising the Hallmark decorations to make a unique Christmas Dinner table centrepiece.
The only thing stopping you is your lack of imagination.*
I'm really fired up right now. I'm going to have to go and so some Nano model making.

*"The only thing stopping you is your lack of imagination." I like that. Don't be surprised if that tagline doesn't appear on this blogs title block soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment