What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Got a rival

I was digging around in the internet the other day looking for anything that could possibly be useful for this nano model railroading experiment and I came across this product. TY scale. 1:900 scale.
Ha! A paltry 1:900. That makes me feel really superior working in 1:1,000.
In all seriousness though. Having been working at this 1:1,000 for a couple of weeks now I have the greatest admiration for this chap who has been producing an entire range of sets in all kinds of wierd and wonderful sites for 10 years (I don't feel all that superior). Inside books and glasses cases for example. Even a miners lamp. I wonder if he'd give me any helpful hints and tips.
His trains run on a different system to the Nano trains. These trains are attached to a belt that moves instead of being on a track.
That's where I feel the nano train system is superior. Even in this tiny scale there is still the feeling of actually putting trains on a track. Which I think is an essential part of the model railroading experience. The hyper-miniature trainset models of David K Smith fall into another category altogether where this essential can't possibly apply.
However, what these tiny models do show is that:
1. A very attractive model can be realised even in these tiny scales.
2. I'm not the only one who can't photograph these tiny things close up...

No comments:

Post a Comment