What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Friday, September 9, 2011

An SD38

Here it is the first scratchbuilt 1:1,000 scale locomotive from the Nano workshops.
An EMD SD38.
"But wait a minute" I hear you say. "You said it was going to be an SD70, or a SD60 or something.Now I'm confused"
I don't blame you. It was to be an SD 70 or 60 or somesuch. But as I progressed and studied the drawings and realised the models at 1:1,000 scale. I came to see that an SD60 or 70 was just looking the same. I needed something a bit more distinctive. So I came across some drawings of an SD38. Granted at this scale this could be anything from an SD 38 to a 40. But its shape has more... More character. Construction wise its just a selection of styrene strips cut to size and glued together. There's still a bit of filing to do in the roof fans to level them off. But once again, you're seeing this several times actual size. So in reality it doesn't look so bad. Take a look and let me know if it will pass muster as an SD38.


The next task will be to mount these to some of the magnet platforms and see if the train runs.

1 comment:

  1. A very troubling development. This thing is just TOO tiny.

    ReplyDelete