What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

This little world we model

My wife and I have just returned from three days in Yosemite national park. Truly one of the most awe inspiring places in the world (see picture below).
"All very well and good." I hear you say. "But what about some more Nano model railroading? Thats what I read this blog for. If I want holiday reports I'll watch the Travel Channel".
Not so fast.
Let's just look at this picture. Left of centre in the picture is the massive Granite monolith known as "El Capitan".
"El Cap" is over 3,000 feet tall. Which in 1:1,000 scale is over three feet tall. That's hip height on me. So, even in tiny, tiny modelling scales like 1:1,000 things that you model can still be big. Obviously El Capitan is an extreme. But I thought it would be refreshing to think in terms of larger features rather than concentrating on diesel locomotives that are under an inch long for once. Never been to Yosemite? Then think of your average supermarket or DIY superstore, large structures that would produce a 1:1,000 scale model of a reasonable size. (I tend to call models of this sort of structure a "slice of bread" model for reasons that would become obvious should you attempt such a model even in T scale)
Also, another holiday feature not entirely unrelated to model railroading was the flight, and no, I'm not talking about modelling an airport even though there are aircraft available in 1:1,000 scale. But as the aircraft was coming into land I was looking at the landscape trying to judge at what height everything below appeared 1:1,000 scale. You can learn a lot just looking. Taking in the differing textures of the ground below you. One thing I noticed is that scrubland can look a lot like Woodland Scenics ground foam.
So anyway, I'm back, refreshed and ready to have a go at some more Nano Model Railroading.

No comments:

Post a Comment