What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Friday, September 9, 2011

The proof is in the seeing

Here we are then. Proof positive that 1:1,000 scale scratchbuilt model railroads are a viable proposition. The locomotive, mounted on a IDL Nano trains platform, cut to fit, does work. The loco has a bit of a "tankslapper" (yawing motion) on the back straight. I think because the magnets aren't aligned properly. But other than that this is a phenomenally promising test run. If I can do this then you can.
I hope you are as knocked out by this as I am.

p.s. after I posted this I removed and re-aligned the magnet platforms and the "tankslapper" was improved. Not cured, but much improved

3 comments:

  1. You're killing me. I just looked at my HO ditchlight kit and that's too little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "tankslapping" happens over the power cord. There's got to be a bit of magnetic interaction. I'd say it's either time for shielding or invoking the inverse squared law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete