What is Nano Model railroading?

Nano model railroading is model railroading at a scale of 1:1,000. How on earth is this possible? Quite frankly, at the moment I don't know how possible it is but the technology exists to do it. So I'm going to have a go.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Workshop report

Time to give a quick report on progress with the Nano trains. I was in the "workshop" yesterday and I turned out another item of freight stock. A Coil car. I see many, many of these looking out of my window at work so it was a natural item to want to model. The curved covers make for a distinctive model even in 1:1,000 scale. I also added a first coat of paint to the SD. I decided it will be a SOO line loco. I think that will make it an SD40, I'm not sure that the SOO actually had any SD38's.
I'm painting it in the famous Red and White "hockey stick" livery. There are a couple of reasons for doing that. One is because it's one of my favorite loco colour schemes the other being that it is simple and distinctive. If I had taken the easy way out and painted it in a predominantly single colour livery UP yellow, DMIR maroon for example there would have been a chance it would look just like a colored blob running around the layout. This is something that I think I have to consider with all the items of rolling stock be it freight cars or locomotives. Stop them looking like tiny colored blobs, the viewers have to know they are looking at trains.
Of course, once they are painted I should then be able to take some better pictures of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment